Listen to live fire-
ground operations from the Salem County Emergency
Operations Center
Listen Now

91 First Street
Pennsville, New Jersey 08070


Contact Us »

Message Center

Winter Fire Safety Tips

Home Heating and Fire Prevention Safety Tips

Smoke Detectors, when properly installed and maintained, provide early warning when fire occurs. For the greatest protection, install a smoke detector on every level of your home and inside each sleeping area.

Test smoke detectors at least once a month to ensure that they are working properly. Vacuum the dust from inside the detector at least once a year. Batteries in battery-operated detectors should be changed twice a year or whenever a detector "chirps" to signal low battery power. Never "borrow" a smoke detector’s battery for another item’s use. A disabled detector cannot save your life. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years, or according to the manufacturer’s specifications.

Develop an escape plan with two ways out from each room. Practice your fire escape plan with the family to ensure that everyone knows what to do if there is a fire and the smoke detectors sound.

Fireplaces and Heaters

  • Before starting a fire in the fireplace, remove all decorations (including stockings hung by the fireplace) and be sure the flue is open.
  • Do not burn wrapping papers in the fireplace. They can burn extremely fast, throwing off sparks and can ignite creosote that has previously accumulated in the chimney.
  • Always use a screen in front of the fireplace. Also consider using a fire-resistant carpet or mat (made for fireplaces) on the floor in front of the fireplace.
  • Keep all combustible materials, including wrapping paper at least 3 feet away from any heater - space heaters need space.
  • When plugging in electric heaters, make sure that the outlet was designed to handle the load. Be safe. Do not plug anything else into the socket with the heater.
  • When using kerosene heaters, make sure you use the correct fuel, only. The wrong fuel may cause a fire or explosion. Only fill to 90 percent. Kerosene will expand once indoors. Always refuel the heater outside after it cools.


  • Cooking-related fires are the No. 1 cause of fires in your home.
  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If you must leave, turn off all cooking appliances.
  • Keep any combustible materials such as towels, potholders, papers, etc., away from any heat source. Don’t wear loose fitting clothing while cooking.
  • Do not attempt to move a pan of grease that is on fire. Put a lid on the pan to smother the fire, then turn off the heat, or use an ABC-rated fire extinguisher. Alert your family so they can evacuate safely.
  • Be sure to turn pot handles towards the back of the stove. Small children are generally curious and may reach for a handle to see what is in the pot. They could get burned.
  • Keep pets off cooking surfaces and countertops to prevent them from knocking things onto the burner.

General Fire Safety

One of the best ways to protect yourself and your family from a house fire is by having working smoke detectors in your home. By providing early warning of fire, smoke detectors can double your chances of escaping a fire safely. Annually, there are about 15,300 fires in the place we feel safest - our homes. Fire data shows that over the past three years, on average, nearly 75% of the people who died each year in Ohio residential fires did not have a working smoke detector in their home. Follow these tips to keep you, your family and your belongings safe from fire:

  • Check your smoke detectors monthly. Only a working smoke detector can save your life.
  • Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors twice a year. When you change your clocks for Daylight Savings, change your batteries.
  • Install smoke detectors on each level of your home and sleeping areas. Sleep with your bedroom door closed.
  • Develop an escape plan with your family - at least twice a year. Include a nighttime drill.
  • Make sure overnight guests also know your fire escape plan.
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector if you have any appliance or device that has a flame - stove, water heater, furnace, fireplace, space heater, etc.
  • Do not use your stove or oven to heat your house.

Smoking-related fires are the number one cause of fire fatalities in Ohio. Provide plenty of large, deep ashtrays and check them frequently. Cigarette butts can smolder in the trash and cause a fire, so completely douse any smoking material with water before discarding.

  • After a party, always check on, between and under upholstery and cushions and inside trashcans for smoking materials that may be smoldering.
  • Keep matches and lighters up high, out of sight and out of reach from children - preferably in a locked cabinet. If your child sees you lighting candles or starting the fireplace, they may think it’s OK for them to do it. Teach your kids about fire safety. Matches and lighters are "tools" for adults, not "toys" for children.
  • If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL for help.
  • Contact your local fire department for additional fire safety information or for help to conduct a winter fire safety check of your home.

In Case of Fire, Follow Your Escape Plan

Remember to GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL 911 or your local emergency phone number.

  • If closed doors or handles are warm, use your second way out. Never open doors that are warm to the touch.
  • Crawl low under smoke.
  • Go to your outside meeting place and then call for help.
  • If smoke, heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the doors closed. Place a wet towel under the door and call the fire department or 911. Open a window and wave a brightly colored cloth or flashlight to signal for help.

Use Caution with Fire Extinguishers

Use a portable fire extinguisher only if you’ve been trained by the fire department and in the following conditions:

  • The fire is confined to a small area and is not growing.
  • The room is not filled with smoke.
  • Everyone has exited the building.
  • The fire department has been called.
  • Remember the word PASS when using a fire extinguisher:
    • Pull the pin and hold the extinguisher with the nozzle pointing away from you.
    • Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
    • Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
    • Sweep the nozzle from side to side.

Views: 198